This is going to be a fairly short post. Saturday night was special. Burger consumption will never ever be the same again now that we have the ‘Insanity Burger’ in our lives. Certainly one of the most delicious things to ever enter my mouth.
If you’ve been watching Jamie Oliver’s current ‘Comfort Food’ series, or indeed purchased the book, you will have already come across this beauty. If you haven’t, please endeavour to do so…as quickly as humanly possible. The full ingredients list can be found in the book or alternatively online on Jamie’s website here.
To make our version of the burger (serves two) you will need:
– 450g of steak mince
– Two large sesame topped white burger buns
– Olive oil
– One red onion
– A splash of white wine vinegar
– Two large gherkins (we used six baby gherkins)
– Four rashers of smoked streaky bacon
– Two teaspoons of American mustard
– Tabasco chipotle sauce (we omitted this on the burger)
– Two thin slices of Red Leicester (we used mature cheddar)
– Two large teaspoons of tomato ketchup
To make the marvellous burger sauce (serves two) you will need:
– 1/6 of an iceberg lettuce
– Two heaped tablespoons of mayonnaise
– One heaped tablespoon of tomato ketchup
– One teaspoon of Tabasco chipotle sauce (we used one teaspoon of hot pepper sauce)
– One teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce
– One teaspoon of brandy or bourbon (we used vodka instead – worked a treat!)
Method: Please see the above web link.
Quality of ingredients are everything in this recipe. It has to be good steak mince – and always streaky over back bacon. Little touches like the mustard glaze on the meat and lettuce in the sauce, as opposed to in the bun, are a stroke of pure genius. Even with the slight changes we made – mainly due to a lacking store cupboard – it was still right up there. Who would have thought that vodka could work so well in a burger sauce?!
All I’m going to say is this. If you get it right, you will reach ‘insane’ levels of burger happiness. Job’s a good’un.